Recovery is a life-long process that requires time, action and hope for the future. When progress is not immediately visible or setbacks occur, it can be easy for Seattle residents to feel frustrated or discouraged. However, maintaining a positive attitude and support system can help you to avoid frustration and successfully continue your recovery.
How to Maintain a Positive Attitude during Addiction Recovery in Seattle
Extreme emotions, such as anger, frustration, fear, sadness or hopelessness, can lead to relapse. In the past, addicts in Seattle may have turned to alcohol or drugs to deal with these emotions. During recovery, you can learn to deal with emotions in healthy ways, including the following:
- Seeking professional counseling or therapy to learn techniques to deal with emotions without resorting to substance abuse
- Learning to recognize situations and people that may trigger negative emotions and avoiding them, if possible
- Expressing your emotions in healthy ways by talking to a friend, family member or counselor and dealing with emotions as they arise, rather than letting them build up
- Replacing substance abuse with another activity and having a plan to resist cravings, which may include calling a friend, exercising or going somewhere calm and relaxing
It is helpful to remember that recovery takes time and to be patient with yourself. Setbacks are often inevitable, but the right support can help you get back on track to recovery and celebrate the small steps.
How Seattle Residents Can Seek Support during Addiction Recovery
Surrounding yourself with support is essential to recovery. It is also important to avoid people that may trigger a relapse and instead seek out healthy support systems, including the following:
- 12-step meetings or other social support systems – Other recovering addicts in Seattle know what you are going through and can offer tips and success stories to encourage you during the recovery process.
- A therapist or counselor – One-on-one meetings with a therapist or counselor can offer you personal support during every step of the recovery process.
- Family and friends – Your family and friends love you and want what is best for you, so you should not be afraid to ask them for help and support.
Continuing to utilize these support systems after initial treatment can help you maintain your recovery and avoid relapse.
Finding Help Maintaining Addiction Recovery in Seattle
If you or someone you love in Seattle is struggling to maintain an addiction recovery, please call our toll-free helpline now. Recovery is a difficult process, but help is available. Our counselors are available 24 hours a day to answer your questions and help you get the support you need. Do not let frustration deter your recovery process. Please call now.