Living with a spouse addicted to drugs or alcohol can destroy your marriage. If the two of you have worked through the using stage of addiction and are now maintaining other’s sobriety, then that is an accomplishment in itself. However, while your spouse is getting better, it can be difficult to know how to support recovery. Seattle couples can overcome addiction with the right help.
How to Manage Marriage and Addiction in Seattle
The following is advice for balancing marriage, addiction and recovery:
- The most important way to support addiction recovery is to get educated. Pull all your resources together to learn as much information as possible on addiction, recovery and how to remain sober. Talk any medical professionals you can, reach out to support groups and utilize the Internet and libraries.
- Marriage requires strong communication, especially during with addiction recovery. Allow your Seattle spouse to feel comfortable talking to you about the addiction, and be honest in return.
- Know that there will be times during your spouse’s recovery that relapse is possible. Be prepared for this and to talk about what would be best if relapse does occur.
- Your spouse’s addiction probably fostered resentment and anger in the relationship. Be willing to work to unravel those issues and find a solution. This will help you both regain trust and love for each other.
- Be your spouse’s cheerleader. Celebrate successes (i.e. being sober for 30 days, 60 days, avoiding relapse, etc.) to promote positive energy and accomplishment. By doing so, Seattle spouses can feel closer and more like teammates.
- Always practice patience. The path to sobriety can be filled with numerous roadblocks and obstacles, but that doesn’t mean that the pair of you won’t ever see the light at the end of the tunnel.
- Most importantly, find help for yourself. Attend support group meetings to help you learn to live with a recovering spouse. This will clarify what is best for both you and your spouse during this time.
Overcoming the initial use of drugs or alcohol can be one of the most challenging tasks you will ever undertake. Many Seattle marriages do not make it past the using phase; if yours does, there is great reward in your loved one’s sobriety. It takes hard work and diligence to work through both past and current issues, and to get on the same page of sobriety. With the right help, success is within reach.
Addiction Help for Seattle Couples
Please call our toll-free, 24 hour helpline to guide you in the right direction. Working with your Seattle spouse to maintain sobriety takes remarkable effort and we would like to help. Please don’t wait, call us today.