A downer is defined by the Department of Health and Human Services (DHS) as a drug that depresses the brain and the central nervous system. The drugs act slow the mind and the body down and act as an anesthetic. Downers can be misused when swallowed or injected, and they cause many side effects in Seattle residents.
Signs of Downer Addiction in Seattle Residents
The DHS lists several signs of downer abuse, and these can include the following:
- Slurred speech
- Shallow breathing
- Lack of coordination
If you observe these symptoms in a loved one, aggressive confrontation is not always the best option. Beginning a conversation with compassion and understanding is the first step to helping friends or family find addiction treatment for downers.
Downer Addiction Treatment Options
There are options for downer addiction treatment. Intervention America (IA), a national drug rehab resource network, lists the following three categories of addiction treatment options:
- Inpatient rehab
- Mental health and counseling services
- Drug rehab
Options for addiction treatment fall into one of the above categories and may include the following:
- Inpatient rehab. This type of rehab requires full-time admission into a facility. Inpatient programs feature counseling, detox services and community support.
- Hospital inpatient drug rehab. This rehab requires admission into a hospital. Hospitalization features round-the-clock care by a physician and nurses.
- Outpatient drug rehab. These programs require check-ins with counselors or therapy groups that assist in addiction recovery on a case-by-case basis.
- Partial hospitalization. This rehab option offers check-ins with doctors and nurses at a hospital but does not require full hospitalization.
- Substance abuse day treatment. Day treatment requires the patient to attend counseling sessions and group therapy on a daily basis.
Each of these options requires dedication on the part of the patient and his or her family. IA and the DHS assert that showing support for someone who finds him or herself dealing with substance abuse or addiction is a necessary step toward addiction treatment and recovery.
Downer Addiction Help for Seattle Residents
If you or someone you know is addicted to downers, there is help available. Our toll-free helpline is available 24 hours a day. Admissions coordinators are standing by to connect you with the addiction treatment options that are best suited to your situation. You are not alone in addiction; call us today.