Today’s drug addicts no longer fit the stereotype that appeared in the media several years ago. Today, prescription drugs are a large part of many American families, and accidental addiction is on the rise. Everyone responds differently to drugs, so one Seattle resident can become addicted while taking half as many drugs as another person who develops no problem at all. In fact, an individual can become addicted to various medications even if he only takes the prescribed amount. For this reason, it is important to recognize this possibility, know the warning signs and take the appropriate action if an addiction should develop.
Addiction Warning Signs
There are variables between each drug, but addiction typically manifests in physical and behavioral changes. The physical signs can include the following problems:
- Strong physical cravings to consume more
- The body builds up a tolerance to the drug
- Emergence of negative side effects related to drug use
- Bloodshot eyes and changes in pupil size
- Changes in sleep patterns and eating habits
- Impaired coordination, speech or motor control
- Start of withdrawal symptoms if not taken regularly
Meanwhile, the behavioral signs of addiction can include these issues:
- Neglecting work and family responsibilities to take or acquire more drugs
- Taking the drug in risky places and situations (e.g., at work or while driving)
- Drug use that strains relationships withSeattlefamily, friends and co-workers
- Having to hide or defend drug use
- Sudden personality and attitude changes
- Decrease in motivation, ambition and social interaction
Drug abuse can also spark or exacerbate a mood disorder, such as depression, anxiety, mania and panic attacks. Such mood changes can be a sign that addiction is taking hold. If aSeattleresident has these issues, seek help immediately.
Drug Addiction Treatment
Failure, relapse and discomfort are more common in people who try to break an addiction without help, which is why proper treatment is always the best option for recovery. An addiction rehab facility provides the following treatment:
- Medically supervised detox in a relaxed and comfortable environment
- Some detox method to minimize withdrawal symptoms
- Integrated treatment for co-occurring conditions like depression and anxiety
- Behavioral therapies to identify unhealthy habits and instill positive life skills
- Holistic options like yoga, acupuncture, sauna, message and reflexology
- An examination of what factors lead to the addiction
- Help repairing relationships that drug abuse might have strained
- Recognize personal drug-use triggers and how to avoid them
- Group therapy to discuss different recovery scenarios
- Aftercare counseling to help keep the recovery on track
Genetics play one of the biggest roles in addiction, which is whySeattleresidents may unexpectedly develop a problem with drugs. Treatment centers design a personalized plan for each patient, and this includes looking at genetic considerations.
Seattle Addiction Help
Whether through casual drug use or a doctor’s prescription, accidental addiction occurs more often than many people think. When it does, it is important to get help right away. Our staff is available 24 hours a day to discuss warning signs, family history and treatment options. Health insurance companies often cover treatment, and we can check your policy for benefits. If you think there might be a problem, call our toll-free helpline today and get the assistance you need.