Alcohol and drug use can lead to dependency and addiction. Addiction causes drug cravings, withdrawal symptoms and a lack of control. Although addiction is incurable, Seattle addicts should know that addiction recovery is possible.
Addiction Recovery for Seattle Residents
Addiction recovery typically refers to absolute abstinence – a complete cessation of addictive behavior. Addiction recovery is not a single step or decision but an ongoing process, and involves major transformation in both behavior and attitude. The following are the steps a Seattle addict should take toward achieving addiction recovery:
- Acknowledgment of addiction – The first step of recovery is admitting the problem and deciding that action needs to be taken to address the problem. Honesty is essential, as denial precludes recovery.
- Treatment – Addiction treatment is the attempt to stop the addiction and can include seeking professional help, joining a support group or privately choosing to no longer engage in addictive behavior. While support is not required for recovery, few succeed alone. Having the support of family, friends, a counselor or a support group can be very important for a successful recovery.
- Changes in attitude and lifestyle – Simply discontinuing alcohol or drug use is not enough for a successful recovery. Recovering addicts must adopt a new perspective and way of life in order to avoid relapse. Learning techniques to resist cravings and temptations that recall past drug use are essential to recovery. Understanding the root of addiction and how to deal with addiction can promote a successful recovery.
- Maintenance – Once users are free from addiction, recovery becomes a day-by-day process of keeping control over cravings and avoiding relapse. This step of recovery can last a lifetime.
Recovery is a process that takes time and often involves setbacks. The amount of time necessary depends on the severity and nature of the addiction, the commitment and personality of the individual and the approach taken.
Long-term Effects of Addiction on Recovering Seattle Addicts
While recovery is possible, the effects of addiction can last long after recovery and can include the following:
- Drug cravings
- Risk of relapse
- Damaged or lost relationships
- Financial problems
- Legal problems
Addiction results in physical, behavioral, emotional and psychological side effects. While recovery can prevent further side effects and reverse some of the past ones, some of the side effects caused by addiction may be permanent in certain recovering addicts in Seattle.
Life in Seattle After Addiction
While recovering addicts cannot change the past or undo all of the damages caused by addiction, recovery offers the chance for a new life in Seattle. Recovering addicts must learn to live with the effects of addiction and accept that staying clean will always be a struggle. They must always be aware of triggers and maintain discipline to avoid relapse. However, recovering addicts can also repair broken relationships, rebuild their lives and start anew. With time, life in Seattle can become more normal once again.
Do You Live in Seattle and Need Help Finding Treatment Centers for Addiction?
If you or someone you love is suffering from addiction, recovery is possible and we are here to help. Please call our 24-hour, toll-free number for more information about addiction, addiction recovery and addiction treatment options. There is life after addiction. Call us today to begin your journey toward sobriety in Seattle.